Saturday, October 18, 2008

Brisbane, Australia




I was excited to go to Brisbane even when I was sick that day. I forced myself to regain my strength quickly because I couldn't pass up the chance to hug a koala. I think it's the only place in the world where it is legal to do so! Yay!

I went out alone armed with a map from the hotel. I walked a few distance before I reached the bus stop that would take me to the Koala Sanctuary. A Few elderly ladies were waiting with me by the bus stop and I saw them holding a map to the same location I wanted to be dropped off to. So I sat behind them in the bus and thought I’d just get off at the same time they would. I was afraid I might not know when to get off and might get lost.

The trip going to the sanctuary was satisfying. There was a sense of belongingness as I watched the trees line up closer and closer together. The houses that were scattered here and there reminded me of the embroidery that I used to do back in high school: houses that were almost hidden in their garden; plants, bushes, and vines climbing up the roof, scattering flowers all over the place. There were small houses painted in yellow, with white little fences and huge trees that added a sort of enchantment to the place.

Finally we reached a small round clearing, barricaded with more plants, wooden signs and the smell of freshly-torn leaves of eucalyptus.

I sighed, wishing I was with someone who could take a decent picture of me in that place. Then I panicked, as I thought there would be no one to take my pictures with the kangaroos! Then I just settled with “begging” strangers to do it for me.

I noticed this girl who was alone as I was. She had a camera in her hand and was figuring out how to snap a picture of herself by the wooden welcome sign. Like fate has brought these two lost little girls together, I offered to take her pictures if she takes mine. Hah! And it seemed natural that we would go together around the sanctuary, relying on each other’s helping hand. She was a nice gal. I learned that she had saved enough money from her previous job to backpack around the world on her own. She told me of her travels and that her next stop after Brisbane would be New Zealand. She was easy to talk to, like long time friend that I’ve already known. I really admire her adventurous spirit and her calm demeanor.



The kangaroo reserve was like a dream. The kangaroos roamed and interacted freely with people in this wide open plain. It was naturally enclosed by beautiful flowering trees. I had fun feeding the kangaroos and seating beside them. They were not scared at all, and I wasn't with them. They're really funny animals that like to scratch their bums.



We were able to do a lot: take pictures with the kangaroos, watch a sheep-herding show, feed colorful birds, and hug the koalas! The koala I held was very lethargic, with huge eyes, and an I-could-care-less look that was so cute I wanted to cry.
There were even koala babies that looked like stuffed toys. I wanted to take one home with me!

After a day in wonderland, I went back to the city with enough time to walk around. I noticed this street artist who had a plastic tube in his mouth. I figured he was breathing through it to avoid inhaling the fumes that come out of the spraypaint he was using to create his Art. It was genius! He had a knapsack where he kept his oxygen tank, and another sack to put all his paper garbage after he’s done. He’s like a walking Art studio. Being inclined in Arts myself, I watched him paint for a good two hours before I decided to head back to the hotel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment